With core skills in speedy, lightweight front-end code, I have been developing for the web since 1999. Some of my recent work can be found at fourfinches.net.
I have worked in teams of all sizes, for organisations large and small, from FTSE 100 companies, charities, and agencies, to local small businesses.
I am equally passionate about the communication of web development, with a track record of creating technical resources, writing articles, and organising numerous professional events for, and with, the web development community.
- Interpretation and conversion of static designs into optimal, lightweight, responsive web pages.
- Design and front-end development of templates for online booking applications.
- Back-end development (PHP) and CMS implementation of brochure / blog websites.
- Writing of site reviews, with an emphasis on performance and usability.
- Application of WCAG accessibility guidelines throughout.
- Organiser and host of the finchconf.uk conference in Edinburgh, including content selection and scheduling, speaker liaison, and offline logistics.
Developer, author, webmaster.
- Design (and redesign) and build (and rebuild) of popular web dev resource htmldog.com.
- Authoring and editing of code tutorials, articles, and references, with a small team of writers and technical editors.
- Translation of W3C standards into concise, intelligible, fun language.
- CMS application, management and maintenance.
- Author of HTML Dog: The Best Practice Guide to XHTML & CSS (New Riders / Pearson, 2006; ISBN 0321311396).
Developer, instructor, event manager.
- Design and build of websites for clients.
- Development and delivery of HTML and web accessibility training courses.
- Co-creation, design and front-end development of the Event Wax web app.
- Organiser of the @media web development conferences in London and San Francisco.
Web Standards developer, writer.
- Freelance, contract, and full-time placements.
- (Primarily) HTML and CSS coding for (mostly) London-based agencies, and other companies, working alongside designers and developers.
- Consulting for, and authoring of, front-end optimisation and accessibility reports.